Campaign for Liberty

Monday, February 26, 2007

adventure of a lifetime

On Saturday, February 24, 2007, two young men set out on an expedition in search of ... some amazing guitar music. And that is exactly what they found.

Michael and I took the T-Bird out to Trinity Seminary on Saturday to see my instructor and one of his former students, who now teaches guitar at University level, put on guitar concert. It was a grand time; Norm (my instructor) is an amazing guitarist. He talked about being in Spain at Pepe Romero's house (Romero is one of the most famous classical guitarists alive), and being invited to visit Joaquin Rodrigo, probably the best composer of the 20th century, at least as far as the guitar is concerned. The music that they played ranged from Bach to Rodrigo to Castelnuevo-Tedesco, and on, and it was all spectacular.


Michael had the privilege of holding Norm's guitar for him while he made a trip in between pieces to the restroom (he is getting to the age when he has to do that quite often). I made sure to nudge Michael and let him know that he was holding a $6,000 guitar. He seemed to hold it a little more cautiously after that. I only know that it is worth that because Norm told me that when he let me play it last semester. ;-)


They played a Sonata at the end that was a Canon, and it was incredible. One would play a melody, then the other would play it, or a variation of it, back while the other moved on to the next phrase. You would just have to hear it.


The roads were starting to get nasty on the way out (it's about a 45 minute drive north of here), and on the way back, I am amazed that we made it in one piece; well, two pieces, actually. It was quite treacherous, but due to my impressive driving-in-blizzard-like-though-more-like-heavy-ice-flake-conditions skills, we barreled down the highway unscathed. Well, we might not have been barreling (I don't think we got above 25 mph), but at least we didn't get stuck! If we had known what it would be like, we probably wouldn't have gone ... wait a minute, yes we would have! It's guitar, for crying out loud! It would have been better if it wasn't so nasty out, though. My hands have, however, regained their normal shape and color. No more white knuckles.


By the way, Stephanie and I are on Facebook now (we have succumbed to social pressure), so look us up if you're on there. That is all, and don't worry, we'll keep sending you our weather as soon as we're done with it! Have fun, until next time.


Jesse

5 comments:

Jesse and Stephanie said...

Well, that's how I LEARNED to be the master of winter weather driving. Norm has a new song for me to learn, he just showed it to me today. It's called "Mallorca" by Isaac Albeniz. When he was playing it for me, I have to say it was so moving, I had to actually try to retain my stern, solemn, macho persona. It's funny, though, because when I was listening to some other people play it on Youtube, it didn't do much to me at all. It just goes to show what good musicianship really does!

Anonymous said...

i agree, you do have a unique sense of humor!!! i too seem to recall some of your driving "expertise" on wintery roads..... glad you enjoyed yourself and made it home safely from trinity...
i'm counting the days till you guys come home again--23, i need a haircut BAD!!!!
love you both-
momma vi

KevinW said...

Jesse, I wish you had used that winter driving expertise when driving my vehicles...haha! Just kidding. It must have been amazing. Glad you guys ended up at home okay.
luv you guys,

Dad

Anonymous said...

It's nice you got to go out and have an amazing time, but what about poor Stephanie? Was she working or did you leave her at the laundromat? I want to hear about a fun time stephanie had. As for me, three of my friends and I are going to pack into the van and go to a Rubber Stamping Show at the Indpls Fairgrounds this weekend. It will be fun, we are always looking for new crafty stuff to do and the four of us will have great fun togeather.
Scott is going to stay home and beat the kids while I'm gone.

Jesse and Stephanie said...

Stephanie works until 7 on Saturdays, but I don't think she really would've wanted to go anyway. She got together with her friends (one of whose husband was with me) and watched movies that would be painful for me to watch.