Campaign for Liberty

Monday, October 23, 2006

It's about time!

GGRRRRRRR!!!! I just wrote this message a few minutes ago, and blogger.com was having apparent technical difficulties, so I lost it. All of it. So, here we go again.

As I was saying, I just realized how long it has been since our last post. You're probably wondering "What have they been up to this whole time? Did they forget about us?". No, we didn't forget about you. We've just been goofing off. We've been spending time with friends, working, going to school - you know, the usual. But we have also done new things. I got a TB test today, Stephanie made another friend, I sold some stuff on ebay for the really nice peddler down the street that always has stereos in his trunk real cheap (just kidding, it was my stuff), among other things. Oh yeah, and I got deathly ill a couple of weekends ago. So we've been active. Except when we've been sick. This weekend, we spent time with a couple around the corner. I read Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon (whew!), part of which was on Saturday, when Stephanie was at work. And in between I watched Notre Dame chalk up another W ... again ... barely. If you didn't see that game-winning TD, go to nbcsports.com RIGHT NOW. You need to.

So, about the reading - you're probably either thinking "Why is he telling us this?" Truth is, I'm just leading into a story. First some background. I don't get super-stressed out about stuff - basically, if I have too much on my plate, I just don't look at my plate, but soon I need to finish up what I have. Then I start to get stressed out (naturally). But usually I just internalize it, like many men. So I needed to go pick Stephanie up. In case you haven't been up here in a while, the traffic in Chicago is pretty much the same - exciting, put mildly. It's just a tense situation sometimes. It was Thursday, and Stephanie was at student wives, which meets at the school. When I drive to the school, I take the expressway. At night, it isn't that bad, but I'm only on the highway for a couple of miles. To be honest with you, that night I wanted to stay on the expressway much, much longer. The view heading into downtown is simply amazing. The seemingly peaceful, yet intimidating skyline is at the perfect distance to behold, and when you look at it, coasting at the perfect speed down the highway, you just forget whatever you were worried about. It's just one of those moments. I wish I could take pictures, but I don't think I should play photographer while driving, let alone hang the camera out the window on the highway.

My point is that some things about living up here are so cool. It's strange; we still call good old Indiana "home," but, as they say "Home is where you make it." I'm happy to make this place home, and it feels like it. Being here is an experience that we are so fortunate to have, even though we miss all the things about "home." Don't get me wrong, we haven't forgotten about you all - in fact we think about you and wish that we could be there. But I think that we are very happy to be where we are, and we wish we could share more of our "moments" with you. Maybe we'll have more, and you can share them. We'll see.

So long,
Jesse

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me rolling in laughter when I read your blog (about the stereos down the street!)

I'm glad you are taking time to ponder life. I appreciate your writing style.

We'd love to visit sometime.

How many people do you know are going to Urbana this year? We have applied to volunteer and are still waiting to hear back.

www.urbana.org

~ Gary

Jesse and Stephanie said...

Honestly, I hadn't even heard anything about it yet. I'm sure word would get around about it eventually.