Campaign for Liberty

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Saturday

I just finished up at the laundromat, which is a first for me. Contrary to popular belief, I have washed my own clothes before; yes, it's true. However, I have never washed my own clothes at the laundromat before. A few comments about that, then we'll proceed to the good stuff.

It's a nice place; quiet, aside from the gentle lull of the washing machines. I read some of a book I have to read for a book report in Intro to Disciplemaking. The name of it is Know Why You Believe, and I highly recommend it. I'm only three chapters in, and it's great. It makes you think, though. How many people that you know who profess to be a Christian could really tell you why they even believe that there is any god, let alone our God. And what about Him? What is He like, and how do we know? I just love those thoughts, sorry.

But the dryers at the laundromat are kind of funny, or maybe I just don't have them down yet. You put in the number of quarters that you think they will take, judging by the time that it allows for those quarters, and once they're done you check your clothes. Still wet. A few more quarters later, the clothes are pretty dry, but not completely. So you decide that they're dry enough to fold and go on your way. It's just funny. It makes me wish I had a washer and dryer of my own again.

So I'm adjusting to school, but the so-called "syllabus shock" is intense. All of the reading is incredible! I'm trying to stay on top of things, but it seems like that odds are stacked against me! I have to read and do a report on the primeval to wilderness periods (a.k.a. the Pentateuch) for OT Survey by 9/12, which is plenty of time, but I also have to read that other book and report on it by 9/13, not to mention the reading for every class each week just to keep up on things, four to five hours of guitar practice, one guitar lesson, and three cardio workouts and two weight training workouts each week for "Lifetime Fitness," which is only a six week course (Whew!). It's just overwhelming at first. But I really do love the reading that I'm doing. My favorite class so far I think is my theology class. It's just so intriguing.

Oh yeah, so I'll tell you what all my classes are. I have The Church and Its Doctrine (theology), Music Theory, Intro to Disciplemaking, Intro to Ministry(which is a one credit hour class to supplement my PCM), Lifetime Fitness, Old Testament Survey, Oratorio Chorus, guitar lesson, and PCM.

A little more about my Practical Christian Ministry assignment - I am assigned to the YMCA in our neighborhood (how bout that?). I will go with three other students once a week for two hours and help with an after school program for 6-17 year olds. It's crazy, it's almost exactly the same thing as the Power House. I'm really excited about it, but I've never ministered to inner-city kids before, so I think I'm in for a treat. Pretty cool, though.
Also, a little more about my guitar lesson ... so I'm taking one half hour per week of lessons from a guy named Norm Ruiz. Supposedly he was invited to study under Andres Segovia. If you've never heard of Segovia, he is basically considered the father of classical guitar. He is no doubt considered the greatest classical guitarist.

I think that's about enough. I've been here way too long. It's off to the school for my forced workout routine (but I probably wouldn't do anything if I wasn't forced to), and after that I'll go home and cook dinner so Stephanie has something to eat when she gets home. I'm still getting used to this whole routine. However, I wouldn't want to be doing this any later in life. Now's as good of a time as any.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not so surprised that you can do laundry, but YOU CAN COOK?! And no one falls ill?! That is an amazing feat.

Scott used to cook, but since we have been married for so long, he has forgotten how. Don't be like that. Don't let your skills get rusty. Always cook and help with laundry and stuff. Stephanie will appreciate you and be thankful to have help.

I hope the laundromat is a very good place to read. I hope you do all the laundry and Steph comes home to nice clean clothes and dinner, too, for lots of years. Wow! I would really love that right now. (As would most of the married woman who read this, I think.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jesse,

I am so proud of you to pitch in and help like that. I am sure that Stephanie will appreciate it too. I hope you get used to the reading, I am sure it is overwhelming right now, but it will get better.
I may be coming to a seminar in chicago sometime next month, I am not sure who they are going to send yet. I am going to Cincinnati to a First Place Convention in September.
You will be in really good shape after all your fitness training, that is good for you, part of taking care of God's temple.
Talk to you later, Love you.Grandma Workman

Anonymous said...

Jesse- thanks for taking such good care of my little girl!! Your update made me cry too... we are so proud of the godly young man that our daughter married... Doug has commented often that you are spiritually wise beyond your years; you have a definite calling on your life. Stay focused as you study and minister, we'll be praying that for you, and can't wait to see you this weekend. love you- your fave mother-in-law
Momm Vi

Anonymous said...

Wow, I miss all those classes that only christian schools have to offer. Even though it's a lot of work, enjoy it, cuz you won't get it any where else. I'm proud of you guys and I'm so glad that you're both adjusting so well. Your updates are so uplifting!

Laura (and Andy says "hi' too)